Tuesday 23 March 2010

Dimensions of Dialogue review


Whilst watching 'dimensions of dialogue', the question I kept asking myself throughout the duration of it was, "how is he doing this?". The animation began with various utensils that formed two heads, and the two heads kept 'eating' eachother to form reduced copies of their former selves, eventually reducing both to clay heads. Although, the starting utensils, weren't crushed into clay, the utensils were still crushed none the less. Thimbles and cutlery were reduced to scrap pieces of metals, and I was wondering how this was possible. I thought it was also peculiar how 'vomiting' out another head was not seen as disgusting, but instead found humorous by the audience.

During the 'passionate discourse' part, I identified a story throughout the duration of it, besides also wondering 'how it was done'. After the two clay figures moulded into eachother sexually, it resulted in a tiny piece of clay moving about the table. The little clay figure to me, represented a child. The animation confirmed this, by the baby naturally attempting to hug it's mother. I was then shocked to find both the 'mother' and 'father' knocking the clay figure about, it was obviously an 'unwanted' baby. I was also wondering how many 'backup' clay figures he had ready for the animation as during 'passionate discourse' the couple attack eachother, destroying the build up of the human-like characteristics.

While watch the 'factual conversation' part, I felt like I was being taken back in time to the 80s, as I could imagine a big audience laughing at some of the outcomes displayed here. At first, I thought it was visually pleasing, how the two faces could expel two items and have them interact with eachother. As it progressed, for me, it was more a feat of Animation rather than humorous storytelling. The ability for example, to sharpen a tube of toothpaste, must have been difficult to animate.

No comments:

Post a Comment